Saturday, May 06, 2006

Turning Pro?

My friends will tell you that I love Kaladi Brothers Coffee shops. I'm a regular at three or four locations. Aside from having the best coffee in Anchorage, and the free wi-fi; their cafe walls are always adorned with excellent local art! I've seen sculpture, oils, and photography pass through priced anywhere from sub $100 to almost $1000 per work.

I've been a hobbyist photographer for about 25 years and have only begun to share my photos (through online venues like Flickr) for the past few months. It dawned on my this week that it wouldn’t be difficult to get some high-end prints made at Photowright Labs and do some framing myself. (side note: I ran a picture frame shop in Oregon for 5 years) And maybe put my work out there at KBC or Cafe Felix. I’ve been all-digital since 2002 and I’d have to see how large I could safely print. I’m thinking 11x14 ish plus a generous with of archival ‘rag mat’ would give a finished product of about 18x24. My next cam will have higher resolution, hence larger prints.

Have any of you had showings of your art? Is it hard to get shown?? You've seen my stuff on Flickr... should I go for it, or am I deluding myself? I would love comments or private email on this!



(if you haven't seen my photos, click on the Flickr badge on the right margin of this blog ).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home