Saturday, April 22, 2006

Another (mostly) vegan post!

Being (or trying to be) vegan in Alaska can be tough. But when you're feeling lazy and don't want to cook at home? Doubly so. With that in mind, picture my wife and I milling around town last night trying to figure out what we felt like having for dinner. We settled on an old standby - BearTooths cafe. Side note: one thing that I forgot to mention on the BearTooth post was that the parking lot is often full. So imagine our happy surprise when a pickup was pulling out close to the building just as we arrived! We hadn't even made one orbit of the parking lot yet! We were not planning to see a flick - just eat. So any lines would be no problem. By the time we set foot inside, it was obvious that this was a live-music evening for BearTooth (for a 6th Aniv party as it turns out). Okay... no BFD to us, right? We proceed to the cafe only to find a sign: 'SORRY. RESTAURANT IS CLOSED TONIGHT. TICKET-HOLDERS ONLY'.

WTF!!! We look past the velvet rope to see about 60% of the tables empty. ..$%&!!!! Deep breath. whooooooo. okay. better? good.

Now we're back to the beginning - but sitting in mid-town, not knowing where to eat. Have you ever seen Disney's Jungle Book? The old one? I'm thinking of the scene with the crows on the power line saying: 'Whacha wanna do?' 'I don't know, what CHOO wanna do?' 'Now don't start THAT again...'

That was us.

Then it hits me: vegan friendly, no waiting, close, and okay... cheap.
Qdoba Mexican Grill



You can get a monster-sized vegan-friendly burrito made with fresh grilled veggies, rice & beans and dairy-free (if they can be trusted) guac. All for about seven bucks. The food is prepared in much the same way as Subway, so you get to watch and choose as your burrito makes it's way down the line. A couple of tips: the black beans are better than the pintos (IMHO) and try subbing the normal 'roasted veggies' for the grilled veggies intended for their fajitas. You'll love it!

In Anchorage, they're located across from Sears on the Benson side. Same building that used to be Gateway Computers (and for you Anch OLD timers - Skippers, before that).

One end-note, and I know that I must have blogged about this topic at some point. But I learn about trying a lot of new things from my myspace friends. And I also learn to expand my horizons through listening to podcasts.

Christy, thanks for the Qdoba tip, all those weeks back! And
Thanks Adam Curry for introducing me to Myspace half-a-year ago.
And Thanks Steve Jobs. I got my first iPod Shuffle and discovered podcasts just about one year ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home