Thursday, April 13, 2006

My life - the past 12 hours.

I discovered what two days back on solid food does to my diverticulitis - weather I have antibiotics or not - cramps! Bad ones. They started up in the afternoon at work yesterday - sitting scrunched into my desk chair. Got worse as I was driving home from work. I rooted around my backpack for Advil with no luck. Stopped to get dinner for the fam. Hmm? Maybe a little more food would do the trick? Get home and eat a small amount and get changed for my Mac meeting (which is 645-900). I still cant find the efffing Advil and try the backpack again - FOUND! Ugh! On the way, I pick my daughter up near a friends house and drop her off at a bookstore to meet another friend. I tell her that I'll pick her up on my way home after 9pm.

The meeting was pure misery. In spite of the Advil that has surely had enough time to set in, the cramps are worse than ever now. And, of course I'm once again jammed into a chair - this time the auditorium variety. By 8pm, the meeting takes a 10min break. I call my daughter on the cell to tell her that I'm heading home early (first time I've ever bailed at half-time from a Mac meeting... I love them). She says she'll catch a ride home with her friend's parents. Fine. I'm in no mood to argue. I make straight for home and give the condensed version of all this to my wife. I try reclining in a living room chair - not much better - and pop off a couple of 'poor me' messages to friends. You know, like this blog. At some point, with the laptop running on the table beside me, I fall asleep. Probably 9pm ish. I awaken at almost 1am. Wife said that she couldn't get me to wake up, so just left me. I see a couple of abandoned IM attempts from friends. Sorry guys. And head off to bed.

This morning the cramps are better, but still there. No cramming myself into chairs today! I called in sick.

I had an interesting dream last night. I was on kind of a boardwalk (picture the Potter's Marsh one) down by Ship Creek by the train station. There are already viewing platforms there, but the one in my dream was LOW to the water. I'm staring down into the silt mud that is the creek bed and start to see turtles emerge head first from the mud and begin to swim downstream. After a few seconds, I begin to be able to recognize their heads just before they emerge. i watch their exodus for awhile. Overhead, I hear the fighter jets doing their thing, and look up to see one on approach for Elmendorf. Another looks to be flying the pattern. My attention goes back to the turtles. I notice that the water level is rising. Tide. It's now close to the observation deck's boards. I see what looks like kind of a stunted, sick turtle emerge. My attention is momentarily drawn away for a second and next he has flopped onto the boardwalk. Tide is still rising but the deck is not submerged yet. I squat down to watch the 'sick' turtle. As he extends his neck, his head kind of unfolds sideways to form more of a hammerhead shark's shape. The front of the turtle's head is bristling with ... electronics? Tiny camera lenses, other sensors that I can't guess at. It's a robot. I think to myself that it's some kind of Fish and Game device. Time to go. The water level is now about to flow onto the boards. My last thought before waking is what a stupid idea it is to build a deck that gets submerged during high tide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home