Friday, March 17, 2006

Friday, February 17, 2006

Anchorage's Fur Rendezvous kicks off tonight!
Shhh. Don't tell anyone, but it's a Friday afternoon at work and I'm bored. Soooo. Here's a new blog. Lucky you. ;)

________________________________________________________

Once again folks, it's time for Rondy. For those friends outside of AK, Fur Rondy is an annual winter festival in town that dates back to the fur-trade almost a century ago. These days it translates to a festival of fireworks, a parade, art and craft fairs, snow sculpture, snowshoe softball and ice bowling, native blanket-toss contests, dog races, model railroad shows, and yes, even a fur auction.

Back when I lived in Anchorage in the 80's, I was never able to get off work to see this stuff. Deprived! But since moving back here five years ago, I've been able to take-in most of these events. The routine doesn't seem to change much from year-to-year, so last year I wasn't too active. If nothing else, I'll manage to see the sculptures each year. At least those change. I've also picked up a pewter pin for each year since we've been back to AK. This year's design is a salmon. Booyah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home