Friday, March 17, 2006

Sunday, February 12, 2006 (repost)

Addendum to yesterday's post...

Mrs Adrift and I did some errands this afternoon, and decided to treat ourselves to coffee/tea at KBC (Title Wave location).

Yesterday, when we were at the new Kaladi at the PAC, the clerk made a point of saying that at this location, wireless internet is free. You just need the user id/password. It struck me as strange, because for the past few months all the Kaladi’s have had free wireless. Even the last holdout at Tudor Square.

So today we’re at the Title Wave location. First thing I notice is that the old iMac’s used as internet stations are gone. Replaced by spanky-new PC’s (I’m a Mac person… don’t get me started). So. I order drinks. Open up the laptop and join that KBC’s network. Open a browser and … nothing! No internet. I ask the barista if they’re charging again? Nope. I then ask if maybe I need a password? No again. Hmm. From past experience I know that they don’t always keep the worker-bees up to date on changes around there. So either KBC is actually charging now, or maybe their wireless base station had somehow lost the connection to the DSL modem. I don’t think the DSL itself was out because four people were happily surfing along at the internet stations (PCs. Ugh…).

I did forget to mention something else last night. Another free wifi spot in town. Hot Licks ice cream store right next to KBC Title Wave. Sooooo. I just joined that network from within Kaladi. I asked two other laptop users about the KBC connection. They both told me in hushed voices that they too were mooching off of Hot Licks.

Now I’m back home …. Sweet home, where the chair is comfy, the coffee is free, and the wireless internet is insanely fast. [sigh] ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home