Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Unblocking my Flickr Scout's Chi

Some of you are asking what Flickr is, what 'Scout' is, and (for those who know both of those things) why it's Chi is blocked in the first place!

Flickr
is an online forum for sharing photography. Photos that are popular on Flicker get chosen to be highlighted in Flickr Explore. Kind of an index web page for folks who just stumbled onto Flickr. Needles to say, having a photo in Explore is a boon to that photo's view count; so it is understandable that Flickrites (members who post photos) covet the number of shots they have on Explore. They brag about their Explore stats and there are even web tools that will scour Flickr to show you which of your shots made it to Explore. That's what 'Scout' is. A web tool that shows which of my photos are on Explore.

Now that you're up to speed, I'll tell you something that I recently learned. Scout can become constipated. Or put another way. It's Chi can be stopped-up. Here's what happens: When I upload a new photo to Flickr, I can add it to different 'groups' based on subject. People browse these groups, so it can be considered as advertising my photo. More groups = more publicity = more hits. Got it? The problem that I just discovered is that when a photo is joined to more than 10 or so groups, it may still make it to Explore, but Scout won't identify it as having 'made it', so I'll never know!

I have over 2000 photos on my Flickr account and was thinking that I have only 2 of them on Explore! So I've been painstakingly going through my collection and reducing the number of groups that each photo is in, to 10 or less. As if my magic, my Explore count is now up to 13 and rising!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home