Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Many happenings... welcome to fall!

This week has been busy. My daughter started school. I bought a domain for my photography biz (which I'll link once I have functional site up). I bought even more camera gear - most notably a good tripod. And for the first time, I applied for and won the lottery to drive through Denali Park. I have much planning to do. I'm allowed to take a car-load of people, so I think it will be my wife, daughter, mom and me. Since our little Kia Rio might not be up to the task of driving 80 miles of sometimes rough dirt and gravel road, we will be renting a small truck or jeep. My #1 choice would be a Ford Escape Hybrid. Denali Park is a couple hundred miles north. And the best photography is at the crack of dawn and at dusk, so I think we'll drive up the day before and motel-it just outside the park gates.

I've also discovered a network of photographers here in Anchorage, through Flickr. They meet every few weeks and I've been to two such functions already. The first one was in support of a Flickr artist, Jamie, having her first photography showing. The 2nd 'Flickr meetup' was scheduled to be at the scenic Hatcher's Pass, an hour north of Anchorage. But heavy rains and flooding had cancelled that venue. It was rescheduled for an Anchorage scenic spot, Point Woronzof, on Anchorage's extreme west side. The weather was still rainy, but I made an appearence. My first Flickr meetup was basically dinner at a nice cafe. This one was all business - a Flickrite photoshoot down at the 'beach'. I came away with a few new friends and some good shots. The next meetup is already on the calendar.

Aside from Flickr, I am also looking forward to attending a digital imaging group (club) that meets monthly to discuss photography and digital darkroom technique. They are currently on a summer break and the next meeting is in about a month. This group is an offshoot of the Alaskan Apple User's Group, of which I am a member.

I'm dreading the coming darkness of winter, so at least I have some good activities on tap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home