Friday, March 17, 2006

Monday, December 19, 2005 (repost)

19

Okay. All of you Dark Tower readers out there will understand the significance of the number 19. In a nutshell, it's not a good number. And ever since finishing the DT series the first time, I think I've been plagued by '19' to some extent. Specifically... 19th's of the month just don't seem to be good days for me. Maybe it's psychosomatic, I don't really know.

Today began it classic 19 fashion when I realized that my watch (LL Bean simple dial-type w/date) refused to join this day with me. It was stuck on 3:17 PM on the 18th. Smart watch. And if you have not guessed, the battery died. As I happen to feel naked without a watch on my wrist, I decide to leave it on. I spin it forward to the 19th. I do, after all, use the little date window; and at least the watch can do that little part to earn it's salt today. As an afterthought, I set the hands to 'noon' in case I forget that my batteries have died and try to use it.

I won't go into too much detail about my job, but suffice that it occasionally involves contact with the public. And further suffice to say that said public is not in the best mood today, what with Christmas season, and the general mid-winter malaise around anchorage. (just two more days of shortening daylight then we're on the gaining side again!). In short, the public had an attitude on this particular 19th. Okay, I will confess that though I do have a desk... i have been catering to 'joe public' for the month of December. This has contributed to my prior blogs about the holiday blues.

Is there an upside to today's blog? Yes.

First: the sunrise was fucking spectacular! Did any of you see it today?

Second: lunch was good. I did a bit of last-minute, finishing-touch xmas shopping. picked up a build-your-own-robot-kit for Mrs Somewhere. Don't laugh, she's a computer hardware geek and loves this kind of thing. Really.

I also had a great meal at Souper Bowl in the 5th Ave mall. Dumpling soup and halibut roll.

Oh, and I had my watch battery replaced at the jewelry repair place on the 3rd floor. If you guys want a good tip, get your battery replaced there. It's about $19 (huh 19), and you get free replacements on that battery for the life of the watch.

Third: no third. This is still a 19th.

After work I stopped for T-bell to go from the Tudor/Lake Otis (actually Folker St) location. This was a mistake. They must have a new crew or something, because the last three orders have been screwed up. This location used to be so good! Mental note: switch to Muldoon T-Bell for now. I ordered a grilled-stuffed steak burrito minus cheese and baja, and add guac. When I got home, it didn't have steak, but the kind of ground dogfood-meat used on nachos. And, oh yeah, no guacamole. Do you think they charged me? Sure. Am I going to drive 4mi each way back to fix it? Hell no.

19.

Epilogue. I'm enjoying a nice Midnight Sun beer (Mammoth) and relaxing w/my powerbook. I've got a few new myspace friends - shoutout guys! It's stupid, I know, but I LOVE seeing new myspace friends or messages. It's only been 7 weeks now, but I've got it bad. I'm a myspace addict.

Well, Happy 19th of December everybody. Let's do it again in a month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home