Sunday, July 29, 2007

Close

So there we were, driving the curves from Dimond to Abbott - bound for Freddies. As I admired the architecture, my mind drifted back. You see, I used to live on Vanguard back in the day. '81-88 (on and off). Where Freddies now stands was the KWHL radio tower. The brick strip mall on the north side of Abbott, just west of Independence is largely unchanged. It used to have a Quik Stop in it with a gas station. Now, where once there were trees, a giant green Credit Union 1 looms. Chili's. Tesoro ToGo. All new. My mind starts to superimpose the old atop the new like a ghost image.

"STEVE - THE CURB!!!"

Woah! Spaced it! I instinctively snap the wheel to the left to avoid the sidewalk on the last few yards of curve before the road finally straightens to become Abbott. The tires yelp and the backside fishtales to the right - the rear tire ricocheting off the curb with a sharp 'whack!'. In periphery, I notice an accompanying puff of dust in the rear-view. Heart pounding now, I pull into the Freddies parking to access the damage. Steeled for the worst, I walk around the back to the passenger side.

Hmm.

Scuffs on the very edge of the steel rim and plastic hubcap. I grab the leatherman and pop the wheel cover. Massive gouges in the rim. Sharp curling shards of steel dangle from the trailing edge, just millimeters from the tire rubber. A strange gray dust in a blast pattern across the (new) Nokian i3 tire. Concrete Dust? I wonder. I grasp the wheel at both sides and check for free play. Nada. Peek under the car at the strut. Seems okay. Try to sight down the length of the car from behind. My hands are now coal black. South Anchorage citizens gawk in amusement at the spectacle. Okay. Seems alright. Heart slowing to something like normal.

I'm sure there's a lesson in this for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home